Sierra Hollister, author Moon Path Yoga
This a yoga sequence to relieve PMS. It helps work on the liver as well as the endocrine system and hormonal balance.
- Sit on your heels, with knees bent and spine straight. Take a few breaths and rest your hands on the floor and extend your left leg straight back. Relax your torso forward over your right thigh, resting your head to the ground. If this is awkward or uncomfortable bring a cushion alongside to support your torso and rest your forehead on. The arms are relaxed back, along the body resting on the floor with the palms up. Breathe through your nose for 3 minutes. Get up and switch leg.
- Return to sitting on your heels. Gently massage your throat from the collarbone to the jaw for 2 min. Massage your ears and earlobes with your hands for 2 min.
- Place your hands interlacing the fingers at the small of your back. Inhale as you slowly twist your torso to the left and exhale as you’re slowly twist your torso to the right for 3 min. End with an inhale and briefly suspend the breath imagining energy rising up the spine.
- Now lay on your back with your legs comfortably wide-spread. Bring your hands to your shoulders (fingers curling in front of the shoulders and thumbs on the back of the shoulders, elbows to the ground). Slowly lift your upper body bit by bit until your torso is upright, then slowly fold forward from the waist until your nose is on the ground or close to it. Hold this with long, deep breathing for 3 min.
- Rise back up and lay on your back. You will repeat that folding posture but with your nose to the left knee holding for one minute. 3 deep breaths, return to your back and repeat to R knee.
- Get into a table shape so that your hands are under the shoulders and knees under the hips. Lower the elbows down to where the hands were and lift hands and forearms so that your elbows are supporting your upper body (your hands can be in loose fists). Lift your head and lower legs and “walk” on your elbows and knees. Keep your feet pulled in towards your thighs. Walk back and forth on mat for 3 min.
- Lay on your back and relax 2-3 min.
- Get into lotus with legs folded with each foot on the opposite thigh. You can do ½ lotus with one foot on one thigh. Place your hands on the ground on either side of your hips. Push into your hands and lift your body off the ground and swing forward. Repeat process.
- Then sit with legs in front of you. Hand on ground behind hips under the shoulders. Engage legs and abs to lift your body up so that you are balanced on your hands and heels. “Walk” for 1-2 min. It is ok for your hips to dip down a bit just try to keep the pelvis lifted and in a straight line.
- Relax on your back. Let go deeply and completely. Relax your entire body.